Monday, July 26, 2010

Bettty Mae Carr Staudt

Betty Mae Carr was born September 19, 1932 and lived in New Castle, Oklahoma. She had golden Shirly Temple curls as a youngster. Her family lived on a farm and she had to help. She was supposed to pick cotton, but would just pick enough to make a nice pillow and watch the planes from the Air Force base train. She had to wear the same shoes that she picked cotton in to church on Sundays (which led to a shoe fetish when she had money to spend!)
Betty, her sister Helen, and her mother all shared the same birthday. The picture above was taken on Betty's 19th birthday. She is the 4th adult from the left, standing between her parents.

When Betty left home she went to live in the YWCA in Oklahoma City. The above picture was taken during the Korean War.

She met an OLD man (he was 26 when they got married, and she 20) Earnest Elmer Staudt from Chicago. They married on May Day, May 1, 1952 in Oklahoma City. The above picture was of them on their wedding day.

Over time they lived in Japan, Italy, Washington State, Iowa, Texas, and various other places during Ernie's Air Force career. They have 3 sons: Danny, Michael, and Russell.
They retired from the Air Force to Rogers, Arkansas. There they lived on a small farm in town where Betty hunted arrow heads and Ernie grew enough food to feed the folks at Union Carbide.
Ernie passed away in 1990 and Betty filled her final years with volunteering at the Salvation Army and the Senior Center. She quilted for family and friends, and also for the children that would go through the abuse center in Bentonville. Betty was a sports fan and became a Razorback! She played cards and dominoes. She traveled near and far to see family and to take on the duties of being the baby of her family.
She passed away this morning, July 26, 2010 in Springdale, Arkansas. Betty didn't have an easy life but she did try to have fun when she could. I'm sure there was a joyous reunion on the other side of the veil this morning when she was greated by her parents and her siblings. (And maybe Elvis stopped by too!)

7 comments:

Baron Family said...

Sorry for your loss :(
What a blessing to be able to say goodbye in person.

Jennifer Foxx said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Crystal. I really enjoyed reading your post yesterday and today. What a nice tribute to your grandma, your best friend. I know you will miss her terribly and I'm sure she can't wait till the day she sees you again. I'm so glad you were able to spend time with her this summer and I know she loved every minute.

:) said...

Oh Crystal, I am so sorry that she has passed. But, I am so happy that you got to spend some wonderful time with her over your vacation! I loved that I could feel of the friendship you have with her in your last post! What a wonderful woman! And what a wonderful grand-daughter she has!

Mark and Karen said...

Sorry to hear she's passed but grateful she has reunited with loved ones on the other side. I agree, that was a beautiful tribute. Hugs

CD Black said...

Thanks for your thoughts and calls today. I'm lucky to have so many folks who care about me.

Triple A said...

Crystal-I am so sorry for your loss. Grandma was a great lady and you have some wonderful memories of her. I am just checking your blog and I will call soon.

Mitch and Linda... said...

I am sorry about your loss. Your Grandma sounded awesome and I am so glad that you were able to hang out with her these past few weeks! What a blessing that you wre there! Glad you are home safe!