I know, I know. I am in HAWAII and I am writing about washing machines. But here is why. I dropped Dan off at 7:15 this morning for his snorkel trip (long story short, we took one together on Monday but it was thwarted by the trade winds, so I sent him off on his own in quest of snorkeling with the green sea turtle). I then proceeded to head back to the our condo to pack; we'll need to be moved out before he gets back from his trip. I started a load of laundry ( a teeny tiny load in our itty bitty washer) and left. And left! To walk along the beach and get a coconut muffin and OJ. To sip and savor a yummy freshly made breakfast on a beautiful morning. And my machine was faithfully washing away. And then I came back and switched it up, and started packing. I've read enough books about life before washing machines that I realize what a wonderful thing this is. I'm so glad that I do not have to have a wash day, with my elbows up to lye soap scrubbing, scrubbing, scrubbing. So, I give my prayer of thanksgiving to the washing machine. I don't want my sweet maternal ancestors watching from above saying, 'she takes it for granted that her laundry can be done so easily. Why in my day...' I realize what a blessing it is to have modern appliances to help me along. But I also have more time to be accountable for on reckoning day. Not a bad thing when I'm on vacation in Hawaii.
PS For tonight (our last night in HI), we are staying at a fancy hotel. I've got one more day in paradise, and 24 hours of no cleaning, laundry or cooking. Hooray!
PSS I'm just waiting for the final load to get washed and then I'm off to lay out in the sun and await the pick up call from Dan. I just thought I'd spend these 10 free minutes in the condo waiting for my mechanical slave to finish to jot down my thoughts. Oh, I hear it finish...
No comments:
Post a Comment