Thursday, July 5, 2012

Sporadic

One day Dan calls me and asks in a I-really-want-this-what-do-you-think way (I know this way, because that is how I got the membership to the science museum, see the previous post) about buying a set of MLS soccer tickets at a price that was a little over the top of what we would normally spend on recreational activities. I said go ahead, but here is my condition... you must 1) take the whole family to the 4th of July game and 2) find activities to do with the other children, because let's face it, soccer is an Alex and Dan activity for the most part. Deal.
 So, I handed Dan a $10 off coupon to Build-A-Bear that we got from a Happy Meal sometime ago with a 'have a nice time' grin on my face. Yes, of course I could have done this, but Dan is so much better at letting the children have what they want. I am too practical and see things from a grown-up point of view. (ie Are you sure want to have a Minnie Bear when you could have a Hello Kitty?)
I can't say anything of the experience because I was not there (I was taking Alex to get a library card, which he loves as much as Macey loves this bear) but there was happiness flowing from our Macey girl when she got home.
 I made this Minnie Bear a dress. Macey isn't too much of a stuffed animal child yet, but she does snuggle this bear and I think she is very happy with her choice.
 Sleepy time with her Minnie Bear while watching Thomas. Oh yeah, Macey is into Thomas the Tank Engine. Really, I was glad to see those movies relegated to the back shelf, but she is into it full force. It is awesome to repeat the same genre. I already know all the characters names! We already invested into trains and tracks! I know what she is playing when I hear her say something like, 'And then, there was trouble.' We all (except for Ryan who totally skipped this phase) know the words to the theme song. I'm already planning which engine to buy for her birthday. The best part is, I can find it cheap on craigslist or ebay!
 Another inexpensive toy that we are re-using this year. The slip-n-slide. I know, I could just put the hose on a piece of painters plastic, but here it is all bright and fun with a pool at the end.
 Macey runs down as far as she can before she slips, whereas the boys are learning how to slide with cool moves.
And once again we are watching basketball games. Alex was born to play basketball. He is a natural. This is him throwing up a shot; one that went in by the way. Dan is coaching again. Our athlete is amazing. I'm glad that this is something he tries to work at since he has a tendencey to give up early on hard tasks.

No comments: