I do this every time. I read the Twilight Saga and then it takes me a few days to get over it. It is very hard to read anything serious. It is very hard to forget about the story line. I mope. I don't get much accomplished because I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need to read anymore. Is this rational? Probably not. But it is a sign of addiction. I love the high of being recklessly in love. I do much better if I go 'Cold Turkey' and just jump into a new project and then get too busy to think about it. All I can say, is that I'm glad I don't live on the high of new love every day of the year. It is tiring! I am glad to have a happy and satisfying love, not one that puts my life in danger with every kiss. I am glad to be in control of my thoughts when my hubby breathes on me. (That will sound very weird to those of you who haven't read the books, but this girl falls in love with a vampire and his presence is all consuming to the girl, especially his sweet breath. These vampires are beautiful and alluring so that it is easier to get their prey.) Anyway, I am a recovering addict these days. I have 4 books sitting on my shelf waiting for me so I better snap out of this. I think I'll go get the movie 'Becoming Jane' and then work my way up to some more serious thought processes.
That is until the movie comes out. Come watch it with us at the AMC Westgate, Fri Nov 21st at 6pm. You can buy tickets now online.
As a side note. Dan did not know what 'going cold turkey' meant when we met at the age of 24. My grandmother had to teach Dan a lot of things that first year we were married. Like, what 'living in the sticks' meant. Or, 'go till the blacktop ends'. And my favorite, 'Do what?' which does not mean 'what should I do?'. Rather it means, 'Will you repeat that?' In fact, I use it quite often and I hope that I'm not confusing anybody by it.
9 comments:
I totally understand the high after Twilight. I'm reading a book group book, and I'm almost in agony! It's a true story, and interesting, but it just doesn't have the suspense, excitement, and allure that I'm still craving! I'm so excited for the movie, but I think I will be disapointed. Edward doesn't look like I pictured him! oh well! Let me know if you find another book that will fill this void I'm feeling after reading Twilight. Thanks! =)
It all makes perfect sense to me. There is a group of us going to Twilight that same night but your showing is earlier...I'm so jealous!
Oh my goodness sakes! I am SO out of the loop here! I have not read any of the books. I just don't have time! (but is sounds like I need to MAKE the time!) Hopefully I can make it to the movie with y'all! :)
Okay now you have me wondering? I remember you posting you wish she would have stopped after the first book.
Another Sister at Church said she would not read the 'Twilight' series because of the inappropriate subject matter she had heard about. So, I returned the 4th book to the library without finishing it. {I did think Jim as my Edward!}
I am perplexed as to whether or not I should see the movie and support an LDS author with low standards?
Go till the blacktop ends is a new one for me.
I highly recommended "The Sign of the Beaver" by Elizabeth George Spear for a quick adventures read with no romance.
Hunter will be reading this book for class. I read it first, loved it!
I understand the lows! I am so project driven and feel so low inbetween. Stephanie Meyer is a very talented writer.
Here is the follow up to Roxanne's question about reading the saga.
OK, on Goodreads.com I gave Breaking Dawn 4 stars because I knew that once I got started reading the first one again I wouldn't be able to stop. And after I finished the partial of 'Midnight Sun' I had to read the rest of 'Twilight' and from there I picked favorite scenes from the 2nd and 4th books (my 3rd being on loan). I always thought that the honeymoon in Breaking Dawn was tastefully done, just not appropriate for 14 year olds. However, if a 14 year old had never even been alone with a boy, she wouldn't grasp what was really going on. I think an adult mind fills in a lot of blanks... What I meant before was, that if she were going to go in such an adult direction, maybe she shouldn't have marketed to teenagers.
And, Jim is sure lucky that you think so highly of him. I have seen in person a few beautiful Roman and Greek gods sculpted in pure white marble and I tend to picture one of those statues with beautiful bronze hair and gorgeous clothes versus a real person.
And finally, the movie. It will be nothing like I imagined because quite frankly no human can be as beautiful as a marble statue. And (this is conjecture but...) when Stephanie Meyer was a teenager (I'm guessing it was shortly before I was), the popular kids wore Ralph Lauren (Geez, how many bottles of Polo did my high school football team go through? I think they washed their clothes in it.) or knockoffs and todays teenagers are a little grungier. And all film makers are given artistic license to condense and create. So, I look forward to seeing what 'Twilight' looks like from another set of eyes.
Blacktop refers to paved roads. So you would say, 'Take a left and then go 5 miles past where the blacktops ends.' Or, 'When you get to the blacktop take a left.' Not so much a saying; more like a coloquial phrase.
I have been having withdrawals too. I just can't motivate myself to read lately - it's like work again where Twilight was pure pleasure and fun.
I love the things your grandma taught dan. That's so funny!
Post a Comment