Monday, November 17, 2008

Woooooo- Pig Sooie!

We are going home. We are heading in a car for a 1243.31 mile trip (18 hours according to mapquest) back to northwest Arkansas for Christmas. It has been over a year since I've been home and I'm ready to be back. It stinks that we'll be back for winter instead of fall or spring. It isn't too cold there usually, but it can get cold and icy. My desert rats will be freezing!
I want to take Alex up to the UoA. The University of Arkansas has an old tradition of engraving all the graudates names on the sidewalk. I want to show him my name. He asks a lot about what I did when I was young. I didn't live in AR until I was 11, so I won't be taking him back to my early childhood, but I can show him the places that made me, me!
It will be good for the boys to meet my family (since I'm sure they don't remember them too much) and to see how many people love them.
Of course the highlight will be sharing Christmas morning with my grandmother. She was like another mother to Alex from birth until we moved away. I also want her to experience life with Ryan. He is such a character! Grandma hasn't been feeling well and I'm glad to get to be with her for a long vacation to perk her up.
Flashback: In college I would sometimes go and stay with Grandma for the holidays. My sophomore year we were sitting in her living room a day or two after Christmas. Grandma says, 'The ocean is calling me.' So we packed our bags and went across the BIG state of Texas and went to Corpus Christi (Padre Island) for New Years. We stopped at the Alamo and the Austin capitol building. On New Years Day Arkansas was playing in a bowl game in Florida. We 'called the hogs' from across the gulf of Mexico. I'm glad to have such great memories with my Grandmother. She has been good to me and the boys (Dan included).
For my friends in NWA, I won't make any promises since I usually don't keep them, but I hope to be able to see you and see how life has treated you since I was away. Oh, and if any of you have extra UofA basketball tickets for the Oklahoma game, we'd be glad to use them!

4 comments:

Mark and Karen said...

How exciting! I get to go home for the holidays too and I can't wait!!!

Rochelle said...

Congrats on getting out of AZ for a bit! Have a good trip!

~ Roxanne said...

YEAH! I understand you will be busy and my family will be in AR for Christmas {at least the AZ branch}.

I will be happy to know you are hear and will understand if you don't visit B1 because our sacrament meeting time is currently 8am.

Happy Turkey Day!

Amie said...

Crystal...I'm so happy for you! You sound giddy with excitement! Weeeee! You'll have a blast I'm sure. I only have ONE question...does this mean you're BAILING out on us and the ward Christmas party??? How dare you! ;) ... it just won't be the same without you.